Pictured right: Minister of Natural Resources Amarjeet Sohi and Minister of the Environment and Climate Change Catherine McKenna.
Home energy retrofit incentives
- establish federal residential retrofit incentive program in Ontario
- use a portion of carbon funds designated for Ontario
- use EnerGuide Rating System – developed, operated by Natural Resources Canada
- launch new incentives 1 January 2019
- achieves much deeper savings, GHG reductions than carbon tax plus rebate cheques
- generates thousand of jobs (contractors, professional home energy advisors)
- leverages millions in private investment
- revives a popular program
- promotes federal/NRCan energy efficiency mandate
Why use the EnerGuide Rating System?
- a state-of-the-art, made-in-Canada tool; science-based; recently upgraded
- existing NRCan infrastructure: training standards, energy advisor registration, quality assurance, file administration, quality assurance
- targets savings, engages homeowners with credible, customized advice
- incentives reward verified savings, ERS prevents fraud
- incentive design can be updated to boost cost-effectiveness and targeted savings
- utility and other incentives can easily piggy-back on ERS
Why Natural Resources Canada?
- years of experience, existing infrastructure
- unequalled expertise in this country about home energy performance, building science
- the right home for an all-fuel program targeting GHG savings
“A retrofit incentive program will save more than it costs: it will make Ontarians richer and greener. For the same reason, incentives will have a negative cost per tonne of carbon saved.”
For more information, contact Clifford Maynes, Executive Director, Green Communities Canada. firstname.lastname@example.org; 705 745 7479 x 118.