Pictured right: Minister of Natural Resources Amarjeet Sohi and Minister of the Environment and Climate Change Catherine McKenna.
Home energy and GHG savings for Ontario:
• Establish ratings-based federal home energy retrofit incentive program.
• Invest $150 M from Low Carbon Economy Fund over two years in Ontario.
• Retrofit 50,000 Ontario homes.
• Launch 1 January 2019.
• Make available for use in other provinces w/o residential programs.
• Quantifies energy and carbon savings (vs rebates). PAY FOR RESULTS!
• Saves more than it costs; makes us richer and greener. A “conservation pipeline.”
• Generates ongoing bill savings, economic stimulus, jobs – distributed across all communities.
• Generates co-benefits: infrastructure savings, housing upgrades, air quality/smog/health.
• Fills gap left by Ontario with proven successful and popular incentive program. High profile.
• Engages Ontario homeowners in personal climate action; builds support for pan-Canadian action.
• Leverages homeowner investment of ~ $375M. Generates GST revenues of ~$19M.
• Ramps up EnerGuide delivery capacity to deliver universal time of sale ratings.
ERS – the perfect tool:
• NRCan’s state-of-the-art EnerGuide Rating System (ERS) provides trusted science-based advice.
• Rewards homeowners for achieved energy and GHG savings. PAY FOR RESULTS!
• Track record: 800,000 retrofits completed across Canada, 2003-12.
• ERS system and NRCan infrastructure in place (modest staff increases required).
• Provides built-in quality assurance, verification. Prevents fraud.
• Respected by provinces, utilities – used for building code compliance, utility programs
• Mature ratings industry in place, and ready to staff up quickly to serve added demand.
Fills the Ontario gap
• Ontario withdrawing from cap and trade, spending cuts underway.
• Previous Ontario incentive program funded with carbon dollars ($100M) ends fall 2018.
• A small ongoing utility-funded program will be restricted to gas company customers.
• Ontario needs an unbiased all-fuel residential program available to all homes.
• ERS-based incentives will be federally branded, but ready for provincial, utility partnerships.
Green Communities Canada
• National non-profit established 1995.
• First EnerGuide service organization, provided technical feedback and advice.
• Initiated and designed first EnerGuide-based incentive program, conducted successful pilot. • Over 100,000 EnerGuide ratings completed
• Contact: Clifford Maynes, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org; 705 745 7479 x 118.